Analyze the health status of a specific minority group. Select a minority group that is represented in the United States (examples Black/African American).
In an essay of 750-1,000 words, compare and contrast the health status of the minority group you have selected to the national average. Consider the cultural, socioeconomic, and sociopolitical barriers to health. How do race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and education influence health for the minority group you have selected? Address the following in your essay:
1. What is the current health status of this minority group?
2. How is health promotion defined by this group?
3. What health disparities exist for this group?
4. Describe at least one approach using the three levels of health promotion prevention (primary, secondary, and tertiary) that is likely to be the most effective given the unique needs of the minority group you have selected. Provide an explanation of why it might be the most effective choice.
Cite a minimum of three references in the paper.
You will find important health information regarding minority groups by exploring the following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) links:
1. Minority Health: http://www.cdc.gov/minorityhealth/index.html
2. Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH): http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/aag/reach.htm
3. Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations: http://www.samhsa.gov/specific-populations/racial-ethnic-minority